Poster Design Contest
Thanks to those who submitted a poster for the WEP 2021 Poster Competition! It was the first year we organized this contest, and thanks to your enthusiasm, we can proudly say that it has been an enormous success.
The judging committee will start now to review the entries. We will announce the name of the winner in mid-July.
KAUST wanted to connect now with the best artists and designers from five in-Kingdom university partners and the KAUST community to design the poster of one of its hallmark events, the 2021 Winter Enrichment Program (WEP) 'Connectivity'.
The two-week program, whose primary purpose is to enrich and inspire students and guests, is produced by the Enrichment Office under the umbrella of the VP for Academic Affairs. WEP will return in 2021 from January 10 to 21 under the theme 'Connectivity' and will be Chaired by Professor Khaled Nabil Salama and co-chaired by Associate Professor Peiying Hong.
The program's event poster and its branding are based on its theme and are used by KAUST and the Enrichment Office in all printed and digital communications and marketing collaterals. The winning design will connect with the WEP world and will be seen by more than one million viewers!
The winner will be awarded an iPad Pro and a winning certificate, to be handed in person at the opening ceremony of WEP. Winning and pre-selected designs – which will be chosen by a judging panel – will be exhibited at KAUST.
How to Participate?
Submissions are now closed.
Participants cannot submit on behalf of someone else. By entering this competition, each participant confirms that his/her entry is their wholly-owned creation. To the extent that such entry makes use of any third-party materials, that permission to use such materials must be obtained from the rightful owner before submitting their design when applicable. Participants must ensure that their entry makes explicit reference to any third-party materials used. By submitting their work for consideration, Participants accept to indemnify KAUST from any third-party claims in relation to their entry alleging that the entry infringes the personal or proprietary rights of any other person.
This contest is organized by KAUST's Office of Enrichment Programs, led by Marie-Laure Boulot, in collaboration with KAUST's Strategic National Advancement.
For further information or questions about this contest contact the Enrichment Office at email@example.com.
Last year, WEP reached more than 1,002,800 people – including 2,800 people who attended the program. Since its inaugural program in 2010, some of the past keynote speakers include Saudi Arabia; H.E. Khalid Al-Falih, Minister of Investment, Saudi Arabia; Professor Kip Thorne, Nobel Laureate in Physics, Caltech; Lando Norris, McLaren Formula 1 driver; Professor Carolyn Porco, Imaging Science Team Leader of the NASA Cassini Mission; artist Theo Jansen; and Ajay Royyuru, IBM Vice President for healthcare & Life Sciences, among others.
About the theme 'Connectivity'
Never have we been more interconnected, more instantaneously enabled, and more empowered by the personal and professional technology at our disposal. The ability to connect from afar with homelands, mother tongues, communities, and loved ones expands possibilities for us as truly global citizens.
Digital evolution is the phenomenon of our age. We are always "on," "wired" together in our global village. This universal connectivity goes from the tangible to the intangible and from the nanoscale to the mega scale.
In the realms of science and innovation, researchers can now collaborate in a multitude of new and seamless ways. Work is accomplished remotely but also collectively to better understand and solve global challenges.
This year's topics include:
Physical and social connectivity
Advanced networks and communications
Cyber threats and cybersecurity
Monitoring and mitigating threats (infectious diseases, misinformation, violence, crises, and disasters)
Machine learning and deep learning
The Fourth Industrial Revolution
Smart materials, devices, systems and cities
*The Arabic description of the theme is available here.
Type of events organized during WEP: Keynote lectures, academic and entrepreneurial lectures, workshops and courses, cultural events, the WEP film festival, and exhibitions.
The audience of WEP: Science and technology university students, invited in-Kingdom and international academia and industry guests, general online audience.
Who can submit?
- KAUST Community Members
- In-Kingdom arts and design students from selected university partners
Participation for KAUST Community Members is open to amateur or professional artists and designers as long as they meet all requirements. To be eligible for this competition, participants must meet the following criteria:
- KAUST Community Members Eligibility:
- Participants must hold a KAUST ID.
- Participants must be at least 14 years old.
- In-Kingdom Student Eligibility:
- Participants must be enrolled in a full-time program and on track to graduate successfully from one of the below universities and colleges.
- Participants must be enrolled in their last or second-to-last years of their bachelor's degree during the 2020-2021 academic year.
Dar Al-Hekma University
School of Design and Architecture
College of Architecture and Design
King Abdulaziz University
College of Art and Design
Umm Al Qura University
College of Humanities and Educational Services
University of Jeddah
College of Art and Design
- To take part in this contest, participants must register and submit an A1 poster format with an original design for WEP 2021 inspired by this year's theme 'Connectivity'. Submissions will be open until Sunday, June 21, 2020, at 5:00 pm (KSA time).
- Participants must send one entry only.
- Entries submitted in any other way, including by email or hard-copy, will not be accepted.
- Please name your PDF with your full name and institution: For example, Abdulaziz Mohammed_KAU
- Entries must be designed with Adobe Illustrator or Adobe InDesign.
- Entries must incorporate all the following content in English:
- Entries must be supplied in the following format:
- 5mm bleed
- Crop marks to be included
Terms and Conditions
By submitting an entry, you agree to the competition Terms and Conditions:
- There is no fee to enter the competition.
- There can be only one named participant per entry. Participants can submit one entry only.
- Participants cannot submit on behalf of someone else. By entering this competition, each participant confirms that his/her entry is their wholly-owned creation and to the extent that such entry makes use of any third-party materials that these have been fully cleared unless they are no longer protected by copyright or other intellectual property rights. Participants must ensure that their entry makes clear reference to any third-party materials used. Participant agrees to indemnify KAUST from any claims in relation to their entry alleging that the entry infringes the personal or proprietary right of any other person or company.
- KAUST will not assume a responsibility for any incorrectly uploaded entries or those that are illegible or corrupted. Entries via agents or third parties are invalid and shall not be considered.
- All correctly completed entries will be judged by a judging panel. All correctly completed entries will receive a receipt confirmation email after submitting the design and will be judged by a judging panel.
- The shortlisted participants will be contacted in writing and will be requested to submit the source file of their design for evaluation.
- By submitting an entry to the WEP poster design competition, including the selected winner of the competition, all participants agree to take part in any WEP-related publicity that may use their submission, their names and photographs in such publicity.
- Participants acknowledge and agree that KAUST and WEP logos used in their poster are the sole property of KAUST. Participants' use of any KAUST marks or materials is limited to the inclusion of those marks and materials in their posters submitted to this competition only. No further use shall be permitted without KAUST's prior written consent.
- In submitting an entry to the poster competition, all participants grant a license to KAUST for the use (digitally or in printed form) of their entry for display during WEP on any KAUST-owned or third-party website or other platforms for publicity purposes. The entry will be used and adapted to fit WEP's publicity materials, such as lamp-post banners, pop-up banners, branding on stage, website, social media e-cards, booklets or brochures, or flyers, among others.
- Participants further give permission to KAUST to display their entries in a physical or digital exhibition. The choice of which entries are included in any such exhibition shall be solely made by KAUST. Appropriate credits will be given to each item displayed, but KAUST shall not be under any obligation to hold such exhibitions.
- By entering this competition, each participant grants KAUST permission to use any data submitted to KAUST for the purpose of entering the contest, including, but not being limited to use of participant's name, email address, contest entry, likeness or comments for the purposes of the administration of this competition and any other purposes related to the competition, including publicity (or future marketing purposes).
Timeline of previous themes and posters: https://joom.ag/in1C
Watch on YouTube the highlight videos of WEP and the keynote lecture series.
Flickr album with photos of WEP designs for your inspiration.
10 Years of Keynote Lectures
Have a look at the book and learn more about the Office of Enrichment Programs and our keynote speakers.